Friday, April 27, 2012

Spring 2012 High Mountain Oolongs!

The long wait is over! This year's most delicate and precious Oolongs have arrived! I'm busy preparing my trip to the Teaworld rendez-vous in Brussels next week. So, until I can describe them in greater detail, here is a quick take on these new leaves in my selection:

- Top Ali Shan Luanze Oolong (the most expensive Ali Shan). From Chang Shu Hu, it is on the light oxidation side and so powerful that it could be mistaken for a Da Yu Ling! A lively feeling of spring Alpes.

- Ali Shan Luanze Oolong, from Chang Shu Hu as well. Very direct and fruity. It is very close to last year's 1600 m Ali Shan.

- An organic Luanze Oolong from Shan Lin Shi. This one is on the light oxidation side. Many buds have been eaten by insects. It feels very 'green' but at the same time, the wet leaves smell of sweet papaya! And it has the finesse and elegance of Shan Lin Shi. (See 2010 for reference)

- Ali Shan Jinxuan Oolong. This light creamy Jinxuan feels less oxidized than last spring's Ali Shan Jinxuan.It's amazing how these huge leaves can be rolled so tight!

I added 2 more teas to my selection:
- a green tea from Wenshan, harvested on April 8, 2012. It is made with the luanze oolong varietal. I thought it's interesting to add it in my list, so that you can experience this popular cultivar as a green tea.

- an organic concubine Oolong from Feng Huang (Dong Ding) made this winter. Here, the cultivar is also luanze (qingxin) Oolong, but the oxidation level is very close to complete (red tea). Its roasting is wonderfully done and the brew is as sweet as I ever experienced with a Taiwanese Oolong! And its endurance is outstanding too.

No comments:

Post a Comment